This easy Chicken Stir Fry recipe is loaded with fresh veggies and the most delicious sauce made with honey, soy sauce, and toasted sesame oil! This healthy recipe takes 20 minutes to make and will wow your family with it’s amazing flavor! Makes sure to try my Easy Cashew Chicken and 20 Minute Sesame Chicken with Broccoli too!
This post is sponsored by Safeway.
Chicken Stir Fry
If you are looking for quick and easy weeknight dinners, and I mean, who isn’t? Stir fry dinners are the way to go. You get your protein, your veggies, your everrrything in one skillet and less than 2o minutes later, the fam is at the table eating a healthy dinner. Can you say winning?
I am a huge fan of one skillet dinners and make them at least a few times each week. Meals like Cheesy Kielbasa, Rice and Broccoli Skillet, 20 Minute Skillet Chicken and Spinach Parmesan, and 20 Minute Skillet Monterey Chicken are what get me through the week, sanity intact.
This chicken stir fry is about as easy as it gets. It starts with some cubed chicken breast, although chicken thighs also work well. I like to start with the chicken when I’m making a stir fry because as they brown, they create a layer of flavor in the skillet. When the veggies get added, the pick up some of that flavor and then develop their own. It’s these layers that give so much depth to this easy recipe. And then it’s time for the sauce…
Chicken Stir Fry Sauce
I feel like the sauce can be often overlooked when making stir fry. It’s really what gives the dish so much flavor and pulls the entire meal together. The sauce I used for this stir fry is what makes it the best chicken stir fry recipe.
It’s a combination of these simple ingredients:
- Honey – for a touch of sweetness which makes this chicken stir fry universally loved by adults and kids alike.
- Toasted Sesame Oil – gives this dish some Asian flair. The oil is very strong so you don’t want to go crazy here.
- Soy Sauce – it’s just not a stir fry without soy sauce! Great flavor but make sure to buy low-sodium!
- Chicken Broth – this will thin out the sauce a bit and add some flavor.
- Corn Starch & Water – creates thickness in the sauce when brought to a boil at the end.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes – completely optional but adds great flavor and a bit of a kick to the dish.
Each ingredient plays a crucial role in the stir fry sauce so you really don’t want to leave anything out.
The fresh veggies and simple, delicious sauce are what really sets this stir fry apart from others. While it can be tempting to just use a bag of frozen stir fry mix, if you can, fresh is best.
What Kind of Vegetables Do You Put In Stir Fry?
I used one of my favorite stir fry veggies in this recipe, broccoli, along with carrots and peppers. You can use virtually any vegetable in a stir fry including snow peas, green beans, mushroom, onions, sugar snap peas, and green onions.
My boys are big time broccoli fans which came as a complete and total shock to me years ago when this revelation first came to light. Needless to say, they were a bit on the jealous side when I had the opportunity to visit an Earthbound Farm Organic broccoli farm a few weeks back, thanks to my ongoing partnership with Safeway.
I have been on several farm trips so far and let me tell you, they are always so eye opening. Lordy! So much work you guys! It never fails that I walk away with a newfound appreciation and respect for not just the produce, but the farmers and companies who are working so hard to get quality produce onto our tables.
After a wonderful farm tour, we headed to Carmel where we enjoyed a delicious lunch at Earthbound Farm’s Farm Stand courtesy of Safeway, Foster Farms, La Tourangelle, and, of course Earthbound Farm. We had an opportunity to sample so many amazing products and create our own salads – so fun!
I was so excited to get home and pull together this easy chicken stir fry recipe featuring these fantastic brands and I know my people. You guys are prepping for the holidays, eating lots of sweets and treats, and in need of a healthy, fast dinner for your families.
For more recipe ideas, be sure to check out Earthbound Farm Organic, Foster Farms, and La Tourangelle. And head on over to Safeway online to get $20 off + FREE delivery, with your first online order when you spend $75 or more – enter promo code SAVE20. Valid before 12/31/18.
I sure hope you give this easy chicken stir fry a try soon!
More chicken recipes you MUST try!
- Easy Glazed Honey Balsamic Chicken
- Buttermilk Ranch Oven Fried Chicken
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- Honey BBQ Chicken Strips
- The BEST Chicken Marinade Recipe
How To Make Chicken Stir Fry
Chicken Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 red bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup baby carrots sliced
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves minced
Stir Fry Sauce
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Stir Fry Sauce
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together corn starch and water. Add remaining ingredients (chicken broth, soy sauce, honey, and toasted sesame oil, red pepper flakes) and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet or wok and heat over medium high heat.
- Add chicken (in batches if necessary) and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet.
- Add broccoli, bell pepper, and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, just until crisp tender. Add ginger and garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add chicken back into the skillet and stir to combine.
- Whisk stir fry sauce and pour over chicken and vegetables and stir gently to combine.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and let boil for one minute.
- Serve with rice and/or chow mein if desired.
For all appetizer recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.
Family loved it 🙂 Thank you , simple and delicious
What a wonderful recipe! I followed it exactly except that I didn’t have ginger. Also, after reading the comments, I doubled the yummy sauce recipe. I’ll be making this often and wouldn’t dream of changing even one little thing. Thanks so much for sharing.this, Trish.
This is a really tasty stir-fry! It’s so quick and uses ingredients that I usually have on hand- a perfect weeknight dinner.
The instructions are very well-written. My 11-year old has been showing an interest in cooking, so I had him make the sauce while I cut the veggies, and he was able to follow the instructions without much help. He’s just learning how to follow a recipe, so I really appreciate that he could follow this one
Super good and easy!
I added a bit of peanut butter and lemon juice for a personal touch. yum!
This recipe is AMAZING!! Everyone in my family loved it! BTW – that rarely happens. <3
This was delicious and so easy! I bought out my wok and it was a festive, flavorful affair. Thank you so much for this recipe.
I absolutely love this chicken stir fry. The sauce is phenomenal!! I’ve been cooking for a long time, and I’m always ready to try new recipes. Glad I tried yours.
I shared this with everyone I know. 🙂
Beck & Bulow says
OMG!!! This recipe is so good!!! Baked chicken thigh and served it on top of a rose cream cheese spaghetti and all my guests loved it!!! It is a go to recipe from now on.
Made this for my family of 8! Even the youngest loved it! Getting ready to make for a small dinner party.
I mixed the garlic and ginger in with the sauce and it was spectacular. Also replaced the carrots with bamboo shoots and sliced water chestnuts.
Heather D says
Can you mix the sauce up the night before and just store in fridge?
Trish - Mom On Timeout says
You sure can!
Second time I made this and second time I forgot to add the corn starch. It is in the ingredients, but not in the directions. I knew better, but still forgot until the end. I just mixed with some water and added. Turned out fine.
Trish - Mom On Timeout says
Good to know!
Delicious. I’m always on the lookout for sauces to add to veggies and meat. I added only 1/8 c of honey and it was plenty sweet for us (we are being careful with sweet things these days).
This is my go to stir fry recipe!!! I absolutely love it and have made it several times already!!!
Good recipe! Family liked it. However , if you don’t care for a sweeter sauce, go very easy on the honey at first. I had to start over completely with my sauce mixture. I also added some finely chopped fresh ginger.