This Cheeseburger Casserole is the perfect hearty comfort food dish that is sure to satisfy the whole family. Cheesy, savory and with all the flavors in a cheeseburger, this Cheeseburger Pasta Casserole is sure to become a favorite!
Cheeseburger Casserole Recipe
Easy casseroles are the perfect weeknight dinner, especially during the school season! Easy to make with lots of delicious flavor, this simple Cheeseburger Casserole has all the flavors of a classic cheeseburger in an easy pasta casserole recipe.
This Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole is the perfect dish to end the day. Cheesy, savory and tasting just like a bacon cheeseburger, this pasta casserole is sure to become a favorite!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you love cheeseburgers, this cheesy pasta casserole is sure to be a hit! My youngest, Bryce, took one bite and was floored by how much it tasted just like a cheeseburger. A total winner! We’re always trying new casserole recipes with ground beef and this one definitely hit the spot. Here’s why we love this casserole recipe:
- Can be made ahead of time. This is a great recipe to assemble and pop in the fridge. Just pull it out of the fridge while the oven is preheating and you’re set! You may need to add an extra 5 minutes or so for it to heat through.
- Cheeseburger flavorful. I love that this recipe encompasses all the flavors you’ll find in a cheeseburger. Feel free to omit the bacon and relish if you’re not a fan.
- Serious comfort food. The perfect comfort food for cool weather, this pasta casserole recipe is hearty, filling and so delicious!
What To Serve with Cheeseburger Casserole
This easy pasta casserole is pretty much an all-in-one meal but I like to serve it with an easy side dish to round out the meal. Here are some side dishes to consider:
- Creamed Peas
- Green Beans Almondine
- Broccoli Salad
- Pea Salad
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
Don’t forget to make some of this yummy Air Fryer Garlic Bread to serve with this casserole!
What You’ll Need
This Cheeseburger Casserole uses mostly panty ingredients so it’s a great recipe to turn to on a busy weeknight. As always, you can find the full printable recipe with complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post. Let’s take a look at what you’ll need…
- ground beef – You can also make this recipe with ground turkey
- minced garlic – you’ll need a couple of cloves.
- yellow onion – You can substitute any other onion that you like, such as red onion, white onion or sweet onion.
- ketchup – use your favorite brand.
- dijon mustard – You can substitute regular yellow mustard, stone ground mustard or any other mustard you have on hand in a pinch.
- dill relish – Sweet relish can also be used if you prefer. Alternatively you can dice dill pickles to use in this recipe. Don’t love relish or pickles? Simply omit from the recipe.
- pasta – I used rotini but elbow noodles or other pastas such as farfalle or rigatoni could be used as well. Make sure to cook the pasta just to al dente and drain well before assembling the casserole.
- petite diced tomatoes – you’ll be using the whole can so don’t drain the liquid.
- bacon – an optional ingredient but adds another layer of flavor in this pasta casserole. I like to make a batch of Air Fryer Bacon or Baked Bacon and chop or crumble it.
- colby jack cheese – but please use whatever cheese you have on hand. A mix of cheddar and Monterey Jack is always a good idea.
- heavy cream – You can substitute sour cream or plain greek yogurt if necessary.
- green onions – to garnish.
How To Make Cheeseburger Casserole
- Brown the ground beef with the onions in a large skillet over medium high heat until cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute or two, stirring frequently. You want the garlic to be fragrant.
- Stir in the ketchup, dijon mustard and relish, mixing thoroughly. Cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Mix in the diced tomatoes, bacon (if using), shredded cheese and the heavy cream. Mix in the noodles. (If you don’t have room in your skillet, simply combine in the baking dish or large bowl.)
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the casserole in an even layer.
- Cover the casserole and bake for 15 to 25 minutes or until the cheese melts completely and the casserole is heated through.
- Serve garnished with chopped green onions.
Let casserole cool completely then transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
To Freeze: Cover the casserole tightly with plastic wrap, then foil or transfer to an airtight freezer safe container. The casserole will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. It can be reheated in the oven, at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until heated through.
Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole FAQs
The cheese can be substituted with any other type of cheese such as cheddar, pepper jack, or mozzarella cheese. Use what you have on hand.
This casserole is one that can be made ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen until you are ready to heat and serve it. There are a few things that you should keep in mind when making this casserole and storing it before baking.
You may want to add a little extra liquid, such as beef broth, because the casserole can dry out a little bit when refrigerated or frozen and then baked.
Bring your bacon cheeseburger casserole to room temperature before baking, if possible. This will help with baking time and also make sure you don’t crack any glass bakeware you may use. If you do use glass bakeware, be sure to follow any manufacturer’s instructions regarding temperatures so that you don’t have your bakeware crack or break while baking.
More Casserole Recipes We Love
- Tater Tot Casserole
- Tuna Casserole with Noodles
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Taco Tater Tot Casserole
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
How To Make Cheeseburger Casserole
- 16 ounces ground beef
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic about 2 cloves
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons dill relish optional
- 3 ½ cups rotini pasta cooked al dente and drained
- 15 ounces petite diced tomatoes undrained
- 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled or chopped, optional
- 2 cups colby jack cheese divided
- ½ cup heavy cream half and half can be substituted
- chopped green onions optional garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 3 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Brown the ground beef with the onions in a large skillet over medium high heat until cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute or two, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the ketchup, dijon mustard and relish, mixing thoroughly. Cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Remove from heat. Stir in the diced tomatoes, bacon, 1 ½ cups of shredded cheese and the heavy cream. Mix in the noodles. (If you don't have room in your skillet, simply combine in the baking dish or large bowl.)
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top in an even layer.
- Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 15 to 25 minutes or until the cheese melts completely and the casserole is heated through.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped green onions, optional.