You may never buy caramel sauce again after you make this incredible Buttermilk Bourbon Caramel Sauce – bourbon optional!
Let’s be friends! Sign up to get my new recipes in your inbox! Follow me on Facebook and Instagram too!
PIN IT NOW!
PIN IT NOW!
Those that know me best know that I am somewhat of a caramel freak. Like, if I had the choice between hot fudge and caramel sauce I’d go with caramel every single time. Well, almost every single time 🙂
There is something absolutely satisfying about the sweet, smooth flavor of caramel. That deep, rich color is so glorious, it just begs to be drizzled on a bowl of premium vanilla ice cream.
And, once you’ve made it yourself, it will be virtually impossible for you to enjoy store bought caramel sauce again. There is so little work involved – the caramel sauce practically cooks itself.
The addition of bourbon and buttermilk add a punch of flavor and the teensiest hint of tang that takes this caramel sauce from amazing to WOW in a single bite.
This sauce will be making an appearance tomorrow on our French Toast. (Bananas Foster French Toast anyone?? Sounds like a new recipe to me!) My kids will thank me. My husband will love me just a little bit more. And then I will go for an extra long walk 🙂
Totally worth it.
How would you enjoy this caramel sauce? Ice cream? French Toast? Waffles? On top of Ice Cream Truffles? Or, are you like me and prefer it directly off the spoon;)
PIN IT NOW!
Buttermilk-Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp butter room temperature
- 2 tbsp bourbon OR 1 Tbls vanilla extract
- Combine sugar, water, and corn syrup in heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Bring mixture to a bowl over medium heat. Cook, without stirring for 15-20 minutes or until a patch of golden colored sugar develops. (Golden - not golden brown.)
- Swirl the sugar mixture around the pan until the entire mixture turns an even, golden color.
- Turn off the heat and slowly stir in heavy cream and buttermilk being careful as the mixture will bubble slightly.
- Stir in butter until fully combined.
- Stir in bourbon or vanilla extract.
- Let cool to room temperature and then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- If any clumps or crystals form, just heat the sauce again over low heat.
For the love of caramel!
Overnight Caramel Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
Peanut Butter Caramel Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
For all breakfast recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.
Have a great day!
Disclaimer: I was provided product for this post by Challenge Butter, but all opinions are, as always 100% my own. I LOVE Challenge Butter!
Hi! Great recipe! Is there any substitution for the light corn syrup? Thanks
Trish - Mom On Timeout says
Not that I have personally tried. I know others have used honey or maple syrup so you can try that if you like!
Michelle Simpson says
Question… does the recipe call for actual alcoholic bourbon, or bourbon extract? the way it is worded, I wasn’t sure.Thanks!
I would like to can something like this. Anyone have any odeas?