These Bakery Style M&M’s and Chocolate Chunk Cookies are my new favorite thing. Incredibly soft, infinitely chewy and easy as can be. I loaded them with M&M’s and rich, chocolate chunks for the ultimate treat. You need to give them a try! And while you’re baking cookies, make sure to whip up a batch of these Toffee Butter Icebox Cookies and Almond Joy Cookies (<– just 4 ingredients on this one!)
Bakery Style M&M’s and Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Sometimes I just CRAVE cookies. Like crave to a distraction. A few months ago I was having an in-depth conversation with my brother Cliff and my sister Melissa. Cookies were the topic. We were talking methods, favorite recipes, etc. I mentioned how, as much as I LOVE my cookies, sometimes I wish I could get them to have a more “bakery style” look – with a bit more height and loft, but still maintain the softness and chewiness of the cookie.
A serious dilemma, amiright?
My sister Melissa, a baking aficionado, suggested I freeze my cookie dough. I protested. I mean, I refrigerate it for HOURS sometimes, isn’t that enough? Apparently not. She’s older, wiser, a better baker. I bow down to your awesomeness Melissa.
Guess what? It worked.
The cookies turned out PERFECTLY. As in, I could hardly stand how perfect they were….so I ate them. A lot of them. And I don’t regret it one single bit. So soft. So chewy. Heavenly.
Freezing the cookie dough for about an hour does amazing things. You can freeze it for longer, of course, and even overnight is totally okay. Please please just use a cookie scoop so that your cookies are all uniform in size. It makes baking them so much easier because they will all be done at the same time.
Feel free to add more M&Ms to the top of the cookies as they come out of the oven. Just press in gently and then let the cookies cool as directed. I made these for my mother-in-laws birthday party and they were a HUGE HIT. And, Melissa was like, I told you so. Yes you did. Yes. You. Did.
I have a new favorite way to make cookies. And I’m loving it!
How To Make Bakery Style M&M’s and Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Bakery Style M&M's and Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 11.5 oz semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup M&Ms plus more to top the cookie if desired
- Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars together in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the egg and vanilla until thoroughly combined.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
- Gradually add flour mixture to wet ingredients, mixing just until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chunks and M&Ms.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of cookie dough and roll into balls. Using a cookie scoop helps to keep the cookies a uniform size.
- Place cookie dough ball on the prepared baking sheet and repeat until all dough has been used. Cover the cookie dough balls with plastic wrap and freeze for at least an hour and up to overnight. If you freeze overnight, let cookie dough balls sit at room temperature for 10 minute before baking. (You can also transfer to a ziploc bag and bake as needed.)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place cookie dough balls on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Cookies will appear slightly under-baked.
- Let cookies cool for several minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
For all cookie recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.
Have a great day!