This 20 Minute Skillet Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe is the perfect quick and easy dinner! Crunchy panko breading, ham, Swiss cheese and wine – no one will know you didn’t slave for hours!
Last week I found myself in a situation I have found myself in MANY times before… with chicken breasts sitting in the fridge that needed to be used. I swear I don’t know how this always happens to me. I always have a plan – or – at least a part of a plan for what I’m going to make with them when I buy them. But somehow, someway, I end up with a few leftover…or the whole package… I need to really nail down this meal planning stuff.
So, I needed yet another quick meal (thank you swim team) and I immediately thought of my 20 Minute Skillet Chicken and Spinach Parmesan. No marinara. Uggh! So I went another route with this 20 Minute Skillet Chicken Cordon Bleu.
Kind of fantastic.
I do love an easy chicken recipe and I am what some might call a chicken cordon bleu fanatic. Some might say it’s old school, I say it’s classic. How can a combination of chicken, ham, Swiss, and WINE ever go out of style? It’s just not happening. Not on my watch.
A mixture of panko and parmesan cheese is all that is used to bread the chicken. Give the chicken time to brown before flipping so that you don’t lose your breading. I really like how light the chicken is this way and the panko provides a fantastic crunchy coating that is truly irresistible.
Once browned, the chicken is topped with ham and Swiss cheese and this is where the magic happens. White wine is drizzled over the top and the lid placed on the skillet. The cheese gets all ooey gooey on top and the flavor and aroma of the wine seeps into the chicken. Magic I tell you.
- 6 small chicken cutlets or breast filets (1.5-2 lbs) - large breasts can be cut in half
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 Tbls extra virgin olive oil
- 6 slices of deli ham
- 6 slices of Swiss cheese
- ½ cup white wine (can substitute chicken broth if desired)
- additional Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley can be used to garnish
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Combine the Panko bread crumbs and the Parmesan cheese in a small bowl.
- Coat the chicken with the bread crumb mixture pressing gently to adhere.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large, lidded skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the cutlets (working in batches if necessary to avoid crowding) and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through. (Wipe skillet before repeating with remaining chicken pieces.)
- Return all of the chicken pieces to the skillet. Top each piece of chicken with a slice of ham and a slice of Swiss cheese.
- Gently pour the wine over the top of the chicken and cover with a lid. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with a side salad, rice, or pasta.
For all chicken recipes, go HERE.
For all dinner recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.