The BEST Cream Cheese Mints

The BEST Cream Cheese Mints you’ll ever try! This incredibly easy recipe yields the most delicious, luscious, melt-in-your-mouth cream cheese mints around! Make them in any color you like! Perfect for Easter, baby showers, weddings, and more!

Let’s be friends! Sign up to get my new recipes in your inbox! Follow me on Facebook and Instagram too!

PIN IT NOW!

The BEST Cream Cheese Mints you'll ever try! This incredibly easy recipe yields the most delicious, luscious, melt-in-your-mouth cream cheese mints around! Make them in any color you like! Perfect for Easter, baby showers, weddings, and more! // Mom On Timeout

PIN IT NOW!

The recipe that you guys have been asking for for YEARS! Yup, I’m super prompt like that… :) Whoops! Okay so let’s get right to it. Many of you have called these cream cheese butter mints, wedding mints, baby shower mints, and it’s true, they go by many names. I have always called them cream cheese mints because in my recipe, cream cheese is the prominent ingredient.

There are lots of recipes out there for these mints that call for only 3 or 4 ounces of cream cheese. I use an entire brick. The reason? These candies will literally melt in your mouth they’re so creamy and delicious. That’s what makes them the BEST Cream Cheese Mints around!

I don’t know why, but these little balls of cream cheese goodness make me incredibly happy :)

We love making these cream cheese mints for Easter and Christmas, but also they are fantastic for baby showers, weddings, and just parties in general. They’re so easy to make and since you can make them ahead of time… well, let’s just say that’s awesome.

When you’re making a recipe that calls for just a few ingredients, it’s important to use high quality ingredients. I used Challenge Butter and cream cheese for this recipe because they’re the brand I’ve used and trusted for years and years. Made with 100% real cream, it’s my butter of choice.

I used Challenge cream cheese for these luscious mints because it is extra creamy and delicious! As a Challenge ambassador, I love sharing their amazing, high quality products with you. I’ve been using Challenge butter forEVER and their cream cheese is just as fantastic!

I’m going to answer another question that I know is going to come up as well – do I use peppermint or mint extract in the recipe? I used mint – as in spearmint. Many of you prefer peppermint and trust me, they’re good that way too. In fact, last month when I shared the Chocolate Mint Cream Cheese Buttons, so many of you made it with peppermint extract instead of mint and said it was the best thing you’d ever had! So, bottom line, use whichever you prefer.

And while we’re on that subject… you could use ANY FLAVOR OF EXTRACT you want. Cherry, root beer, lemon, orange – any flavor you want!

Flatten the balls with the bottom of a glass dipped in powdered sugar (a shot glass works great for this!) or flatten with the tines of a fork. You can also roll into a log, and cut into little squares – like butter mints. You can also put into candy molds if you’d like – super versatile!

And then you end up with this awesomeness.

The candies need to dry to harden.  So you’ll want to make at least 1 day in advance.The powdered sugar that they are rolled in will absorb into the mint – so don’t worry about the white. The cream cheese mints can be frozen or refrigerated if you’d like to make well in advance.

Trish – how did you get those pretty pastel colors? Easy! I used these Wilton gel food colors – they’re my favorite!

I hope I’ve answered most, if not all, of your questions :) Let me know in the comments section if I missed anything! Enjoy!

PIN IT NOW!

The BEST Cream Cheese Mints

Prep time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 8 dozen
Ingredients
  • 8 oz package of Challenge cream cheese (full fat), softened
  • ¼ cup Challenge butter, softened
  • 2 lbs powdered sugar
  • 1 - 2 tsp mint extract
  • gel food coloring
  • ½ cup powdered sugar for rolling mints
Instructions
  1. Combine cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl and mix until smooth.
  2. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
  3. Add the mint extract and mix until combined.
  4. Gradually, add the remaining powdered sugar until smooth and consistent. You can do this with a stand mixer, food processor, or by hand.
  5. Separate the mixture into four separate bowls, or however many different colors you want.
  6. Add a small amount of food color to each bowl and stir in until the color is uniform.
  7. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm enough to handle. You don't want it sticking to your hands.
  8. Line 2 quarter sheet pans with parchment paper and liberally dust with powdered sugar. Set aside.
  9. Pinch off small amounts of the dough and form into a 1-inch balls.
  10. Roll each ball in powdered sugar and place on prepared sheet pans.
  11. Gently press the tines of a fork into the top of each ball. (You can also use the bottom of a shot glass if you don't want the lines. Just dip the bottom of the glass into powdered sugar to keep it from sticking.)
  12. Let stand, uncovered, for at least 4 hours or until the mints are firm. If the bottoms have any moisture, flip over and let stand again until the bottoms of the mints are also firm.
  13. Store in an airtight container, separating layers with parchment or waxed paper, for up to 2 weeks at room temperature.
  14. Mints can be refrigerated or frozen if desired.

More Easter treats!

To-Die-For Carrot Cake

Pastel Mint Patties

Three Minute Easter Fluff

Easter Cathedral Candy

Reese’s Easter Bunnies

For all Easter ideas, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on FacebookPinterestInstagramTwitterBloglovin’.

Have a great day!

Disclosure: As an Ambassador for Challenge, I was provided product and compensation for this post by Challenge Butter, but all opinions are, as always 100% my own. I LOVE Challenge Butter!

Comments

1. They look yummy! How long can they be left out of the refrigerator, since they have cream cheese and butter in them?

2. my question is the same as the 2 previous ones. do these need to be refrigerated?

3. My questions is do they need to be stored in the refrigerator and how long can they stored? Can they be frozen for a later date?

4. Hi, was wondering if you could substitute essential oils for the extracts.

5. Beverly Letsche says:

This is similar to what our family has done for years, using mint molds, but I really like the idea of just doing the balls and flattening them. Much easier! I am not fond of mint flavor, so I use almond or butter flavoring and it is amazing!

6. I, too, would like to know how long they can be left out. Also, did the recipe really call for 2 pounds of powdered sugar or is it supposed to be 2 cups?

7. Lorraine Armbrecht says:

Can you use margarine and regular cream?

8. Lav Blair says:

I admit I haven’t made candy like this before, but did you really mean 2 LBS of powdered sugar?? Pounds? Not cups? Look really good.

9. I love these mints – my great aunts taught me how when I was ten years old and they have been part of our Christmas since (50 years!) We have alwayes rolled the pieces in GRANULATED, rather than powdered sugar. It gives the candy a little crunch, complements the creamy interior.. Thanks for bringing back a great memory!

10. Betsy Waisenberg says:

I have powdered sugar in canisters. When I check on the conversion of 2 pounds to cup measurement it was over 6 cups of powdered sugar. Is this correct?

11. can you use low fat cream cheese?

12. Do you have the nutritional value or how many weight watchers smart points are the mints! Thank you.

13. brenda huffman says:

Can you put into a candy mold? would probably put powdered sugar in molds before adding candy,then sprinkle with more powdered sugar. Would this work?

14. Jennifer says:

Did you use salted or unsalted butter?

• I used salted but if you’d like to use unsalted you can – just add 1/4 tsp of salt in with the cream cheese and butter.

• Christine says:

This might be helpful to add to the directions for us who want to print out, since it can make a difference.

• Suzanne says:

Good morning! I used unsalted butter, as the recipe didn’t specify, and I only had unsalted. My family is already hooked on them! So creamy and delicious! I do wish they had firmed up a little more. Maybe salted butter would have made them firmer?

15. Hello Trish, do you think I could dip them in chocolate, maybe half the circle. And could I use white and milk chocolate or just milk. They look delicious. Thank you so much

16. Looks great, but I have a question. Can you please explain why they don’t need to be refrigerated when their primary ingredient is cream cheese? Thanks!

17. I’ve used cinnamon flavor in these for Christmas. We like the almond flavored as well!

18. JoEtta McCollum says:

I use Challenge butter and was wondering if everyone knows that there are coupons inside the box itself. These look like Easter or baby shower, but guess they could be colored for any occasion.

19. I just made a batch and after refrigerating them fir 2 hours they were still too sticky to roll into balls. I used margarine instead of butter, would this cause the stickiness? Or should I have left them in the fridge longer?

• Carolyn, margarine has water in it, so it would effect the quality of the mixture. Pure butte is the only way to go for this yummy recipe.

• Also, the recipe says to let stand, uncovered for at least 4 hours until the mints are firm, it does not say to refrigerate not does it say to use margarine. There is a huge difference between margarine and butter.

20. These look delicious… I was wondering if anyone has used cocoa baking powder in this recipe and vanilla extract ( or mint for choc mint) to make chocolate ones…reminds me a bit of the Irish potato recipe I make.. Also is Gel food coloring a necessity or can one use regular food coloring.. Thanks!!

21. I can’t believe how many of you question the recipe? It’s not just here but all recipe sites. If your that worried don’t make them.
    This recipe for mints is easy & straight forward.
    In baking or candy making, when it calls for butter it means butter. Margarine is nothing but hydrogenated oils & chemicals. Margarine will never firm up like butter. No butter taste either. Hence it’s not going to taste or act right as a dough, candy or batter.
    FYI – Margarine is 1 molecule away from plastic! It was originally made to feed to pigs to make them fat!

22. These look so delicious! I HAVE to try them.

23. I made them and 25 hours later, they are still sort of moist – they hold their shape but the centers are still very moist. Is that how they are supposed to be? I thought it would all firm up? Thanks!

Used salted butter, full fat normal block of cream cheese, powdered sugar and wilton food gels plus a tsp of peppermint.

They taste great tho. Any advice??

24. Awesome

25. All these question were helpful. Thanks everyone. But i still have one question in reference the food coloring it says gel food coloring I wanted to know if you can use regular food coloring

26. you mentioned 2 pound of cream cheese. I am confused! So is it 1 or 2 cream cheese. lol

27. Hi there – in step 2 you mention add 1 cup of powered sugar – when does the rest of 2 lbs of powdered sugar get added in then?

28. Can you mix it all together and add flavoring last? Because I would like to make one recipe with four different flavoring. So I figured I would divide the cream cheese mix in four batches then add flavorings last?

29. Pam Witte says:

How many mints would you say this makes?

30. these cream cheese mints are looking very beautiful, i would ask my wife to make it tonight, specially for my kids.

31. Love this recipe.
    I went just a bit further with taking the easy way out. I did not refrigerate my dough and put it into my cake decorator. With the widest tip available you can squeeze your dough right out onto wax paper lined sheets -sprinkle with 10x or granulated sugar and let sit overnight. When the mints are set I just picked up the wax paper and popped the mints off!
    We made four colors and four flavors and had so much fun doing it. This recipe is perfectly proportioned. Thanks!

32. Barbara says:

Hi. I just made the mints. They look beautiful. Can you tell me how long these mints can be left out to set? You state at least 4 hours. Thanks for the recipe!

33. can this recipe be cut in half? ty

34. mARNA-rAE Walters says:

How many cups of powder sugar do I need for this recipe. It calls for 2 lbs of powder sugar

35. Hi, I’m wanting to make these, but question was if I could mix it all & when you say set in fridge for 2 hours if it’s ok to leave overnight than make the 1 inch balls tomorrow?

• That was going to be my question as well. If I make the recipe up the night before, then make them into molds the next morning. Will the dough be fine to refrigerate overnight and make the next day?

36. Hi, I may be asking a dumb question, but what is gel food coloring. Can I use regular food coloring?

37. Doria Garza says:

Not sure what I did wrong but my mint mixture is really sticky.

38. I just made it with the food coloring that came with an egg decorating kit, and they turned out great! Much more affordable than buying food coloring just for this, since I don’t make a lot of things that need food coloring.

39. Thank you for the recipe. What other flavors have you use. I’m thinking of using these for a kids treat in a party favor. Oh and you are quiet nice to answer all the repetitive questions. 😊

• Lol! I realize that not everyone takes the time to see if their questions have been asked before ;) So I have tried cherry, root beer, lemon, lime, orange – you name it! I find I like fruit flavors the best but I have heard that rum extract is also delicious, although maybe not appropriate for a kids party lol!

40. Thanks for such a great recipe, I just made regular mint ones for a shower this weekend, my 4 year old wanted to eat them all. We will definitely have to try other flavors for events in the future.