Breakfast Burritos are the perfect meal to make ahead and freeze saving time during busy mornings!
A couple of weeks ago it occurred to me that instead of focusing so much on freezer meals for dinner, I should do some breakfast freezer meals too. We are so busy in the mornings that having a go-to meal in the freezer for breakfast would take a lot of the stress out of my day. The first thing I thought of was breakfast burritos. My husband LOVES breakfast burritos and so do my boys. They are easy for the boys to hold and eat and my husband is a burrito fanatic. Here is what I did…
1 lb breakfast sausage
1 lb bacon
1 cup chopped ham
2 pound of red potatoes, cubed into bite size pieces
16 oz cheese (any kind you like)
24 soft taco tortillas (I used flour)
12 eggs, extra large
1/2 c milk
1/3 c olive oil
1 tsp each: Emeril’s Seasoning, Seasoning Salt or any seasoning you prefer
salt and pepper
1. Cook bacon. (see my post on How To Bake Bacon)
2. Brown the sausage.
3. Fry up the ham.
Roasted Red Potatoes:
1. Preheat oven to 450.
2. Dry cubed potatoes with a towel to eliminate any extra water.
3. Toss the potatoes with 1/3 c olive oil, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper. Use additional seasoning (such as Emeril’s or Seasoning Salt) if desired.
4. Roast for 30 minutes until golden brown. Start checking at 20 minutes.
1. Whisk 12 eggs and 1/2 c milk in a bowl until well combined.
2. Heat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray (or melt 1 Tbls butter) over medium heat.
3. Spray skillet and add egg mixture.
4. Cook eggs,stirring occasionally until eggs are set.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
1. Place 5-10 tortillas on a plate.
2. Cover with a wet paper towel.
3. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power.
4. This should be your last step. Heat the tortillas in batches.
Putting it all together:
1. Set up an assembly line with all the ingredients.
2. Place the tortillas on a large baking sheet or cutting board.
3. Build your burritos – cheese, eggs, potatoes, meat
4. Fold in the sides of the tortilla.
5. Roll burrito up.
6. Pat firmly on top of the burrito making sure the seam is on the bottom.
7. Make sure the burrito is tightly rolled.
Let’s freeze these burritos:
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place burritos on the sheet, seam side down.
3. Press down on the burritos again lightly making sure that the edges are tucked in.
4. Place baking sheet in the freezer for an hour to flash freeze the burritos.
5. Remove from freezer and wrap burritos in plastic wrap individually.
6. Place in a ziploc bag.
7. I ended up with 24 burritos.
To heat the burritos:
1. Remove plastic wrap.
2. Wrap burrito in wet paper towel.
3. Heat for 3 minutes on 50% power.
4. Serve with fresh salsa – yummy!
- Want to go vegetarian? Replace the meats with some sauteed peppers and onions.
- Want bigger burritos? Just use larger tortillas.
- Need even more flavor? Add in some sauteed veggies.
- Make sure to serve with fresh salsa.
Connect with me!