These Skinny Toasted Hazelnut Baked Donuts are ready to go in just 15 minutes – start to finish! A delicious breakfast you don’t need to feel guilty about!
Reece and Bryce have been asking for donuts every day for the last month. At least. I’ve made promises. I’ve broken promises. This past weekend I finally did it but I made them so I could enjoy them too. After all, it was me putting in the 5 minutes of work.
That’s right. These donuts take about 5 minutes to pull together and another 10 or so in the oven. Breakfast has never been faster.
Here’s my tip for baked donuts. Use a quart or gallon size ziploc bag and spoon the batter into the bag. Cut off the tip and pipe the batter into the donut pan. I always always always make a mess if I try to do it with a spoon. With a bag, the donuts come out so perfect and even!
So let’s get down to the nitty gritty and answer the burning question, “What makes these donuts skinny?” So first of all the donuts are baked, not fried. That’s a no-brainer. Less mess + less fat = win win.
You’ve probably also noticed that I opted for a glaze instead of a heavy icing or frosting. You won’t miss it. Promise.
I also used plain Greek yogurt (keeps these donuts nice and moist) and just the tiniest bit of fat in the form of one tablespoon of butter, negligible across the yield of six donuts. For flavor and sweetness I turned to one of my secret weapons in the kitchen, Toasted Hazelnut creamer from International Delight.
While no morning is complete without a splash of this delectable creamer in my favorite cup of coffee, it is put to even better use in these donuts. The toasted hazelnut flavor is delicately sweet and, with the addition of some nutmeg, makes the donuts unforgettable. (Nutmeg was my mom’s secret weapon for just about any baked goods!)
The donuts are light in texture with a fine crumb and are plenty sweet for even the youngest consumers (aka, Reece and Bryce). Instead of a heavy frosting, I made a quick glaze with some more creamer and a little bit of powdered sugar. If you are really good at glazing, you can halve the ingredients for the glaze. I’m terrible. More than half never makes it on to the donuts 🙂
The six donuts disappeared in minutes. If you’ve got a larger family, feel free to double the recipe. Reece told me these donuts were “Amazing! Better than Krispy Kreme!” They didn’t even know they were much, much better for them as well 🙂
Skinny Toasted Hazelnut Baked Donuts
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp International Delight Toasted Hazelnut Fat Free and Sugar Free creamer
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp butter melted and cooled slightly
Glaze (can be halved)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp International Delight Toasted Hazelnut Fat Free and Sugar Free creamer
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugars, salt, and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- In a medium bowl, beat together yogurt, creamer, egg, vanilla, and butter together until thoroughly combined/
- Stir in flour mixture just until incorporated.
- Spray a donut pan with cooking spray.
- Spoon batter into a ziploc bag. Cut off one corner and pipe the batter into the pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until tops of donuts spring back at your touch. They will not brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for several minutes before removing from pan.
- While the donuts are baking, prepare the glaze. Whisk together the powdered sugar and creamer until no lumps remain.
- Drizzle glaze over the tops of donuts and serve.
Breakfast is served!
Connect with me!
Linking up at some of these parties.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of International Delight. The opinions and text are all mine.