Red, White and Blue Sparkler Cookies are perfect for 4th of July, Memorial Day and more!
Can you believe that June is almost over?? We sure are having lots of fun but this summer is just flying by! I realized yesterday that the 4th of July is just around the corner and I simply haven’t shared enough Red, White and Blue recipes with you yet 🙂
I absolutely adore easy-peasy recipes that look super fun and are oh-so festive. This recipe is so simple to prepare and the technique can be used for any holiday. Red and green sugar for Christmas, black and orange for Halloween, pastels for Easter – you get the idea right? I just love recipes that are super adaptable all year round – they make me so happy 🙂
These cookies are made kind of like cinnamon rolls and a lot like sushi 🙂 The sugar is sprinkled onto the dough just like you would for cinnamon rolls. Sprinkle the sugar in “patches” so that when the dough is rolled up, the colors alternate.
Next I use the plastic wrap to roll up the dough (yup, it’s sticky) into a log. Using the plastic wrap and my master sushi rolling skills makes this part fun and easy. The dough gets refrigerated for a bit so it’s easy to cut into slices.
Finally, it’s all about slicing and baking and eating. My very favorite part.
Do you have any tried and true recipes that you find are easily adaptable for different holidays? I think recipes like these are gems!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ tsp almond or vanilla extract
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- colored sugar (red and blue for 4th of July)
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add egg and extract and mix until well combined.
- Stir in flour, mixing until fully incorporated.
- Divide dough in half.
- Cover cutting board with plastic wrap and press out half of dough into an 8x8 square.
- Sprinkle sugars onto the dough in patches.
- Use the plastic wrap to to lift and roll up dough - just like sushi.
- Repeat with second half and refrigerate dough rolls for 1-2 hours or until nice and firm.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove plastic wrap from rolls and cut into ¼ inch slices.
- Place slices about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until edges just turn golden. Let cool for 1-2 minutes and remove to wire rack.
More cookies we love:
Connect with me!
Linking up at some of these parties.