This Pumpkin Coffee Cake shines with warm fall spices and a simple streusel topping. Delicious with whipped cream as a dessert, it also works nicely as a breakfast coffee cake – perfect for Thanksgiving morning! No mixer is needed for this simple, easy to make pumpkin cake recipe.
Pumpkin Coffee Cake Recipe
Fall months call for all the pumpkin things and this easy Pumpkin Coffee Cake is the answer. Perfectly spiced, moist, and bursting with pumpkin flavor, this is the easiest dessert you’ll be making all season long.
Topped with a crumbly, streusel topping made with brown sugar and cinnamon, this easy pumpkin sheet cake is super versatile and can be served with a cup of coffee for breakfast or topped with a dollop of whipped cream for dessert. You simply can’t go wrong.
This pumpkin cake recipe can be turned into a layer cake! Line two 9-inch cake pans with parchment circles and spray with nonstick spray. Bake for 20-24 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before turning onto a cooling rack. Frost with cream cheese frosting! (Check out my carrot cake recipe for my cream cheese frosting recipe!)
Delicious Fall Desserts
We love to bake and create mouthwatering deserts during fall and the holiday season. This pumpkin cake is most definitely one of our favorites. Here are a few more to try:
Check your pantry for most of these ingredients and I’m sure you’ll find almost all of them there. This is one of the things I love about this recipe. It’s quick, easy, no mixer needed and as someone who keeps pumpkin in stock year round, I’ve always got the ingredients on hand to make this pumpkin coffee cake. As always, you can find the full printable recipe with complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post. Let’s take a look at what you’ll need:
For the Pumpkin Cake
- all-purpose flour – provides the structure for this pumpkin cake.
- baking soda and baking powder – these are our leaveners for this cake recipe.
- salt – for balance and flavor.
- spices: ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground ginger, ground cloves OR use 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice PLUS 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- pumpkin puree – this is not pumpkin pie filling, just pure pumpkin. The pie filling comes pre-sweetened and already has seasonings added and will not work with this recipe.
- unsalted butter – for flavor and moisture.
- sour cream – the sour cream adds moisture to the cake and is part of what makes it so soft. Greek yogurt could be used as well.
- vanilla extract – use the real stuff for best results.
- brown sugar and granulated sugar – for the perfect balance of structure, moisture, and flavor, I like both brown sugar and granulated sugar in this recipe. If you want, you can double the amount of one of the sugars and eliminate the other.
For the Streusel Topping
This simple four ingredient streusel topping recipe is so easy to make and adds so much flavor to this simple pumpkin cake.
- all-purpose flour – the base of the streusel.
- brown sugar – I prefer brown sugar in streusel but you could use half brown sugar and half granulated.
- butter – keeps all of the ingredients together and creates a crumbly, golden topping.
- ground cinnamon – you could use pumpkin pie spice instead for more flavor.
How To Make Pumpkin Coffee Cake
This easy pumpkin cake recipe comes together so quickly, no mixer needed! Let’s take a quick look at how to make it:
- Preheat oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices, and set aside.
- Wet ingredients. Next, In a large bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (pumpkin, egg, melted butter, sour cream and vanilla extract). Then add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and mix well.
- Combine. Finally, add the dry ingredients and whisk just until the ingredients are incorporated, and no flour is visible. The batter will be thick. Pour the batter into the 9×13-inch pan and spread evenly.
- Make streusel. First, add the remaining flour, brown sugar, melted butter, and cinnamon to a small bowl. Then, use a fork to mix the ingredients until small crumbs form. Finally, sprinkle the streusel over the cake batter and press the crumbs gently into the batter.
- Bake cake. Bake for 32 to 37 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Enjoy! Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Pumpkin Coffee Cake FAQs
You’ll want to cover the cake with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container. It can be kept at room temperature or in the refrigerator, and is best enjoyed within 3 days.
Yes, the cake can be frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight at room temperature or in the refrigerator before serving.
Yes, this cake is delicious as a layer cake, with cream cheese frosting in between the two layers. First, line two 9-inch cake pans with parchment circles and spray with nonstick spray. Then, bake for 20 to 24 minutes. Finally, cool for 5 minutes before turning onto a cooling rack.
More Pumpkin Recipes To Enjoy
Tis the season for all things pumpkin! Here are some of our favorites:
- Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
- Pumpkin Pancakes
- Easy Pumpkin Brownies
- Pumpkin Lasagna – Easy No Bake Pumpkin Dessert
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
How To Make Pumpkin Coffee Cake
Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 260 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices, and set aside.2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves, ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- In a large bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (pumpkin, egg, melted butter, sour cream and vanilla extract). Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and mix well.1 cup pumpkin puree, 1 egg, ½ cup unsalted butter, ½ cup sour cream, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, ½ cup brown sugar, ½ cup granulated sugar
- Add the dry ingredients and whisk just until the ingredients are incorporated, and no flour is visible. The batter will be thick. Pour the batter into the 9×13-inch pan and spread evenly.
- Add the remaining flour, brown sugar, melted butter, and cinnamon to a small bowl. Use a fork to mix the ingredients until small crumbs form. Sprinkle the streusel over the cake batter and press the crumbs gently into the batter.⅔ cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup brown sugar, ¼ cup unsalted butter, 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Bake for 32 to 37 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Serve with whipped cream, if desired.