These German Chocolate Caramel Brownies start with a cake mix but are some of the fudgiest brownies EVER! A sweet layer of caramel is the ultimate surprise inside these delicious and easy brownies!
Life has gotten busy again (as if it ever isn’t). The boys are in swim practice five nights a week and Reece has skateboarding camp on Saturdays. Yep, skateboarding camp. Its a thing.
I’ve got two very hungry boys 24 hours a day and I swear it’s become a full time job just preparing meals for them. Bryce asks what’s for lunch an hour before lunch time, at lunch time, 10 minutes after he just ate lunch, and every half hour that follows. He just grins when I tell him he already ate lunch. And then asks for a snack.
I try to keep to mostly healthy snacks like fresh fruit and veggies and some of their favorite granola bars but every now and then I like to give them a treat. These brownies did all kinds of things for them this past week.
I used my Aunt Lana’s Chocolate Caramel Brownies recipe and made just a few minor tweaks to get the most outrageous AND easy brownies of all time.
The recipe starts with a cake mix. A German Chocolate cake mix of all things. If you’ve just had some negative thoughts, don’t. Just give them a try and then judge. I promise you’ll be a believer.
The recipe is a breeze to make, doesn’t require a mixer and has a deliciously gooey caramel center that is most definitely a sweet surprise.
Some of the tops of the brownies shows cracks with caramel peaking through and those are the ones you want to go for. That just means there was too much caramel for the mix to handle there. #winner
And then, because they can, (these boys are swimming a ridiculous amount of yards each day), we go a la mode with some more caramel sauce. And if they can, then you can. This is just how it should be done.
- 20 KRAFT caramel squares
- ⅓ cup evaporated milk
- 1 15.5 oz box German Chocolate cake mix
- ¾ cup melted Challenge butter
- ⅓ cup evaporated milk
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I used walnut)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet, milk, dark - whatever you have on hand)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray a 9x13 in baking dish with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine caramels and ⅓ cup evaporated milk in a microwave safe container. Heat on high heat in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until fully melted. Set aside.
- Combine cake mix, melted butter, ⅓ cup evaporated milk, mini chocolate chips, and chopped nuts in a bowl. Stir just until combined.
- Spread half of the cake mixture onto the bottom of the baking dish and bake for 7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle on one cup of chocolate chips. Drizzle the caramel sauce on top. (If caramel has cooled to the point that it cannot be drizzled, return to the microwave for 10 seconds and stir.)
- Spread the remaining half of the cake mixture over the top of the caramel and chocolate chips. It's okay if you don't get 100% coverage. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Serve immediately with ice cream or let cool before cutting into bars.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
For your chocolate cravings:
Connect with me!
Linking up at some of these parties.