These Cherry Almond Cupcakes are so bright and festive – they’re hard to resist! A beautiful almond cupcake, made from scratch, is topped with a cherry almond frosting that is just delightful! Topped with a cherry, these cupcakes are party-ready!
Love cherry desserts? Make sure to try my Cherry Coconut Magic Bars and Triple Chocolate Cherry Brownies too!
It has been FOREVER since I shared a cupcake recipe. I’m super sorry about. I’m gonna make it up to you today…
As you guys are well aware, I LOVE cherry flavored desserts. In particular maraschino cherry. I shared my Maraschino Cherry Frosting with you a couple years back and it has quickly become one of your favorite “pink” frosting recipes… I’m with ya.
Before we go any further, can we all agree that cupcakes and cakes made from scratch are truly something special? Yes? I thought so. So you’re going to love this…
My good friend Lindsay over at Life, Love, and Sugar recently published a gorgeous new cookbook that is completely dedicated to beautiful cakes and cupcakes: Simply Beautiful Homemade Cakes. Hooray! Step-by-step instructions including pictures showing you how to do all that fancy piping that really makes cakes and cupcakes stand out.
Extraordinary recipes and easy decorating techniques. Yaaassss.
When flipping through her book, I found myself internally scheduling each and every dessert out for the next few months. I want them ALL. Maple Bacon Cinnamon Cupcakes, Mocha Chocolate Cake, Peppermint Bark Cheesecake (perfect for Christmas!) and the Neapolitan Mousse Cake (right there on the cover) – WOW. But, I had to decide what to make first and when I saw the Cherry Almond Cupcakes, I knew it was fate.
Almond is one of those flavors that is extremely under appreciated. It’s all about vanilla extract in recipes but really, almond extract is one of my favorite ingredients. Just opening the top of the bottle takes me back to making sugar cookies with my mom. She always used almond extract in her cookies and they were so, so good!
Cherry and almond go together so well and I just knew that this recipe was going to be a winner. I love being right.
The cupcakes are light yet moist, and full of delicious almond flavor. Paired with my favorite cherry frosting…a serious winner!
The recipe makes just about a dozen cupcakes which I found to be the perfect amount…. Six for me and six for the rest of the family. #winning
Also, I’m giving away a copy of Lindsay’s book, so just leave a comment below letting me know which of the recipes you’d like to try first (you can see the four I mentioned above plus these cupcakes). Bonus entry if you buy a copy of the book! Just leave me a separate comment. I’ll pick a winner one week from today – good luck!
PIN IT NOW!
Cherry Almond Cupcakes
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp sour cream room temperature
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 3 large egg whites room temperature, divided
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp milk room temperature
- 2 tbsp water room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until light in color and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Mix in sour cream and almond extract until well combined.
- Add one egg white and mix until combined.
- Add remaining two egg whites and mix until combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the batter and mix until well combined.
- Add the milk and water and mix until combined.
- Add remaining flour and mix until well combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Fill the cupcake liners about halfway to two-thirds full of batter. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
- Removed cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool for 2 to 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Frost with Maraschino Cherry Frosting. Find the recipe HERE.
More cherry recipes!
Baked Cherry Cheesecake French Toast
Triple Chocolate Cherry Brownies
For all fudge recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.
Can’t wait to make the cherry almond cupcakes
These are great! I occasionally make cupcakes for work and these will be a hit. The combination of flavors is just so appealing.
I’m going to try making these for work
I made these and brought them to work. I got so many complements on them. Thanks for a great recipe!
Your cupcakes look absolutely adorable and I cannot wait to bake them! I was wondering where you purchased those darling blue polka dot cupcake holders with the ruffled edges. They are so darn cute and I would love to order some. Thanks so much for your lovely website. I am amazed at all your delicious recipes and cannot wait to start trying some of them,.
donna stent says
I’m with you, I love almond flavored desserts and cherry desserts too. Even better when they are combined in the same recipe. I just found your blog today and am looking forward to getting emails from you.
Denise Giardina says
Can you please clarify whether we are to use baking powder or baking soda. The list of ingredients says powder but the directions say soda.
Trish - Mom On Timeout says
Yes! Baking powder. Sorry about that!
Denise Giardina says
Thank you for clarification.
Jane Casey says
Cherry Almond Cupcakes
Joan Bares says
Cherry Almond cupcakes! It’s decided! I am making them for my daughter’s birthday on Saturday!
Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch says
Great flavors – and they are so beautiful too, Trish!
Kristin McGinnis says