These Lemon Drop Bars are extra creamy and topped with candied lemon zest for the BIGGEST lemon flavor possible! So easy to make, deliciously sweet and tart, you’ll find this treat hard to resist!
I love lemon desserts! So tart and refreshing, they are perfect for summer, winter, and everything in between. Now, everybody needs a good lemon bar recipe, amiright? This lemon bar recipe is not only the BEST, but it has a secret topping that really takes it over the top…candied lemon zest! Candied lemon zest tastes exactly like a lemon drop and makes the ideal garnish for these tart bars.
All you do is combine lemon zest with granulated sugar and let it mingle for a bit and get all lemon drop-y and when you add that fantastically sweet and tart combo to the top of the already perfect lemon bars, man, are you in for a treat! (The perfect lemon zest is just a microplane away – I use mine all the time!)
The graham cracker crust is the perfect way to deliver this tart goodness to your mouth. Perfectly crisp, crunchy, and lightly sweetened, it’s terrific counterbalance to the lemon filling.
And the lemon filling…you guys! So creamy and refreshingly tart – I dare you to eat just one! Lots of fresh lemon juice and lemon zest give these bars extra lemon flavor that you’re sure to love!
- Graham Cracker Crust
- 1½ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 5 egg yolks
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- candied lemon zest (recipe below)
- powdered sugar (optional)
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp key lime and/or lemon zest (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Spray an 8-inch or 9-inch square pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, butter, and sugar in a small bowl and stir until combined.
- Press the graham cracker crumb mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and press down firmly. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to really pack it in.
- Bake the graham cracker crust for 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Whisk the sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, lemon juice and zest together in a medium bowl.
- Pour over cooled crust and bake for 25 minutes. Let the bars chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Combine lemon zest and sugar in a small bowl toss together gently making sure the zest is completely coated with the sugar. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the candied lemon zest over the top of the cooled bars along with the powdered sugar if desired.
- Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Don’t miss these bars!
For all lunch recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.