One of my favorite desserts of all time – Ambrosia Salad! So easy to make and always a big hit with kids and adults alike, make sure to put this salad on the menu for your next party!
Today we’re going back, waaaay back. Back to the days when fruit salads made with Cool Whip were the bomb dot com. Like, well, I guess that would be yesterday for me.
No joke, I seriously don’t think salads like this can ever go out of style…wanna know why? Because they taste AMAZING! They’re easy. They’re fun. They’re accessible. Kids like them. Adults like them. They’re great for parties, potlucks, barbecues. Have I convinced you yet?
I’ve been a long-time fan of Ambrosia Salad. My Aunt Judie introduced it to me many, many moons ago. It’s her favorite. This is the thing though, if you want to buy it at the grocery store, it’s kinda ridiculously priced. Like a little tiny container is $5. I can make this whole salad for $5. So there. (And now so can you!)
So what’s in this Ambrosia salad anyways? A whole bunch of yummy stuff – that’s what! Mandarin oranges, crushed pineapple, coconut, maraschino cherries, marshmallows – oh my!
Some people like theirs with nuts. Some don’t. I don’t judge either way.
I have a little secret ingredient for my recipe – sour cream! With all that sweetness going on, the sour cream adds a little creamy tang that helps to offset it. Greek yogurt would also work beautifully.
Every little bite is pure bliss. Magic I tell you!
So if you want to really “wow” your guests, or your family on a Tuesday night (cause it’s just that easy…), give this Ambrosia Salad a try – I think you’ll agree that it really is the BEST.
- 1 8 oz tub Cool Whip (lite is fine)
- ½ cup sour cream (light is fine)
- 1 11 oz can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
- 10 oz jar maraschino cherries, drained, halved, and patted dry
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- ¾ cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, cashews) optional
- Fold sour cream into Cool Whip in a large serving bowl.
- Fold in remaining ingredients making sure the pineapple, oranges, and cherries have been properly drained.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving.
More dessert salads that really WOW!
Have a great day!