Zucchinis and green chiles combine for amazing flavor in this delicious quiche recipe!
I know! I know! Another zucchini recipe? I figured you guys thought we were living off of zucchini cakes, cookies and brownies so I wanted to shed a little light onto the fact that we enjoy savory zucchini dishes as well ;) I love quiches because they are so easy to make and can be served hot, cold, or at room temperature. Easy! This recipe comes from my sister. She has made this for me a couple of times and it’s hard not to eat the entire quiche all by myself! I recently made them in a tartlette pan so it would be easier for the boys to eat (and to hopefully incorporate a little portion control). This recipe can be made in a pie plate as a quiche or you can make mini quiches by using a tartlette pan – either way they are so scrumptious!
Really ideal for breakfast, brunch or dinner. This recipe is so amazing! I absolutely love making mini quiches and the boys thing they are extra-special :)
- 1-2 pie crusts (1 for a standard size quiche, 2 if making mini quiches)
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 Tbls vegetable oil
- ½ cup diced shallots
- ¼ c all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 2½ - 3 cups of two or more kinds of cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Press the crust into the bottom and up the side of the pan. Use a fork to poke holds into the bottom of the crust.
- Bake the crust in the center of the preheated oven until golden brown. If making mini quiches - the crust will only take 2-3 minutes, for a full-size quiche, about 7 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven and reduce the temperature to 350 degrees.
- While the crusts are baking, grate the zucchini onto a clean kitchen towel and squeeze dry. Add the oil to a skillet and heat over medium heat until hot. Add in the shallots and cook until nice and soft. Add in the zucchini and turn up the heat to high. Cook the zucchini and shallots for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until nice and fluffy (2-3 minutes). Grate the cheese - I used a sharp cheddar and Dubliner cheese mix for this quiche. I've had it with Monterey Jack, pepper jack, white cheddar - ALL are good so use your favorite combination. Add in the grated cheese, cottage, zucchini mixture, green chiles, and flour mixture and beat until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the crust(s). Bake the quiche until the top is puffed and golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. For the mini quiches, around 25 minutes, for a full-sized quiche, 35 -40 minutes. Let stand for several minutes before removing from pan and serving. Enjoy!
These mini quiches are just gorgeous and here’s a look at the full-sized quiche we enjoyed at my sister’s:
More zucchini recipes:
Connect with me!