Spiral-Wrapped Sausages on a Stick are a “twist” on the original! So fun for kids!
We are in high gear planning the menu for Sunday. This game is HUGE for us! We are big-time 49er fans and are throwing a big party to watch the game. My husband and I were poring over options last night trying to make sure we had food that was both adult and kid-friendly. We’ve got our dips covered, we’ve got three slow cookers lined up and figuring out some other fun options for our guests. Super Bowl Sunday is always fun at our house. Everyone is welcome and the food is spectacular!
I absolutely LOVE these Spiral-Wrapped Sausages on a Stick! Whether it’s for the big game or any other get-together, this recipe makes it easy to serve a crowd! The dough is spiral-wrapped giving the ordinary “dog-on-a-stick” a whole new look – you could even call them Touchdown Dogs 🙂
Pick your favorite sausage – whether it’s Polish, Brats, or my husband’s favorite Johnsonville Beddar with Cheddar – they are sure to come out delicious! The sticks make these sausages easy to serve and kid-friendly too. I made these earlier in the week and kept them warm in the oven until it was time for dinner – worked like a charm! You could easily make these ahead of time and just keep warm in the oven until time to serve to your guests.
When I’m baking with yeast there’s only one brand I trust in my kitchen – Fleischmann’s Yeast. I buy Fleischmann’s yeast in the jars because I bake so much but the strips are really hand too. Always remember 1 envelope of Fleischmann’s yeast is equal to 2 1/4 teapoons of yeast. Fleischmann’s yeast is known for quality and reliability and for giving all of us at-home bakers confidence in their from-scratch recipes since 1868 (over 140 years ago!) I’ve been baking for a good 20 years and each year I enjoy it more and more. The boys get so excited when I show them dough before and after a rise. It really is fun to see and that smell…oh my goodness! We love it! Using ingredients from brands I trust is an absolute must – especially for parties! The last thing I want is to serve sub-par food to my guests.
Look how beautiful this dough is! I used a pizza wheel to cut semi-straight lines 🙂 I had helpers too!
This recipe makes 12 sausages but can be doubled if needed.
An easy to make dipping sauce pairs perfectly with the Spiral-Wrapped Sausages
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 envelope Fleischmann's® RapidRise Yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¾ cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon Mazola® Vegetable Plus! Oil
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 polish sausages, brats, or any other fully cooked sausage/dog
- 12 popsicle sticks
- Dipping Sauce:
- ⅓ cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish, lightly drained
- Mix whole wheat flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a mixer bowl.
- Combine cottage cheese, water and oil; heat to very warm, between 120° to 130°F.
- Add to flour mixture along with the egg. Beat for 3 minutes on medium speed.
- Add ½ cup all-purpose flour; beat 1 minute. Gradually add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 6 to 8 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. Cover and let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 12 x 10-inch rectangle. Cut twelve 1-inch strips (each 10 inches in length). Wrap a strip around each sausage, tucking ends under sausage.
- Place on a parchment-lined or greased baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise 20 minutes, until puffy (dough will not double).
- Place in preheated 350°F oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove and insert stick in one end. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.
- Dipping Sauce: Combine mustard and relish in a small bowl.
- Recipe Tip: These can be frozen after baking. To do, simply wrap tightly in foil, then freeze for up to 3 weeks. Thaw in refrigerator, then either heat in 350° oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until heated through OR place Polish dog(s) on a plate and microwave about 45 seconds per dog until heated.
Connect with me!
Disclosure: I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for ACH. I received a promotional item as a thank-you for participating.”