Easy and delicious, these Red Velvet Coconut Macaroons are a beautiful treat just in time for Valentine’s Day!
I’ve got a great last minute dessert recipe today that’s perfect for Valentine’s Day! I took my favorite coconut macaroon recipe and turned it into Red Velvet Coconut Macaroons!
I have to admit red velvet isn’t my go-to flavor when I’m ordering dessert but every time I have it, I think to myself – why don’t I have this more often? It’s really delicious and so fun for Valentine’s Day and Christmas.
You’ll notice that I added a fun little drizzle and lots of sprinkles to spruce up the macaroons. That’s not totally necessary but it sure is pretty! The macaroons dry out a little bit on the exterior so the color isn’t as vibrant as it is on the inside. I thought this was an easy and delicious way to remedy that effect.
A pretty and sweet treat just perfect for the coconut lover in your life!
- 3 tbsp water
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp light corn syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 14 oz bag sweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup red velvet cake mix
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz vanilla candy coating or white chocolate
- colored sprinkles, pearls, or jimmies
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine water, sugar, corn syrup and salt in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat.
- In a medium-sized, heat-proof bowl, combine shredded coconut and hot syrup, stirring until evenly distributed. Let mixture cool for about 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, stir in the cake mix until thoroughly combined.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites and vanilla extract together until foamy and thick. Gently fold in the coconut mixture.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop out mounds of the coconut mixture. Make sure to really pack the coconut in tightly. You want golf-ball sized mounds. Space the macaroons 2 inches apart.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes, rotating the baking sheet if necessary. Place baking sheets on racks and let cool completely.
- Melt candy coating according to package directions and drizzle on top of the cooled macaroons. Sprinkle with pearls or jimmies. Let set up before storing in an airtight container.
More Valentine’s Day treats!