A Dirty Shirley Temple is the classic mocktail turned cocktail and is just as delicious! The Dirty Shirley is the perfect combination of sweet and tart and is oh-so refreshing! Make one for yourself or a pitcher for a party!
Dirty Shirley Temple
Remember those days as a kid when you found out you could order a fancy drink at a restaurant named after a famous child star? Sure it was just lemon-lime soda with a splash of grenadine and topped with cherries, but something about ordering a named drink, a Shirley Temple, felt special – like you were one of the adults.
Well, now you can bring back all the nostalgia with a little kick! A Dirty Shirley Temple takes that classic flavor combo and adds a little alcohol as an added splash of fun. Perfectly balanced between sweet, citrus, and, and a touch of tartness, this updated version is a real crowd pleaser!
Rumor has it that Shirley Temple often felt left out at all the adult Hollywood parties. A bartender wanted her to feel included, and quickly whipped up the traditional mixed drink mocktail and named it after her so she had something special at parties. Later in life, she admitted she didn’t like how sweet the drink was, but appreciated the kind gesture.
This Dirty Shirley Drink Is Sure To Become A Favorite
We love this easy, classic mocktail turned cocktail for so many reasons! Here are a few:
- The flavors. Cherry, lemon, and lime just blend so well together. It’s refreshing and delicious!
- This drink is fun. Something about an “adult” version of a childhood favorite drink just makes this recipe fun to pull out at parties and girls nights in.
- It’s easy to make! Ease is always a big contributing factor. This recipe has minimal ingredients and it’s incredibly easy to make a large batch.
Dirty Shirley Cocktail Ingredients
With just a few flavorful ingredients, you’ve got a layered and lovely cocktail version of the famous 1930’s mocktail. As always, scroll down to the end of the post for a printable recipe card. Let’s take a look at what you’ll need:
- cherry vodka – use the brand of your choice. Plain or vanilla vodka can be substituted as well.
- grenadine – did you know grenadine is actually a pomegranate flavored syrup? For more cherry flavor you can use the cherry juice from the jar of maraschino cherries.
- lime juice – freshly squeezed is best!
- lemon lime soda – Sprite, 7Up, even ginger ale will give you the taste you’re looking for.
- optional garnishes – A fresh lime wedge or slice and maraschino cherries finish this cocktail off.
- ice – To get this drink cold and refreshing.
How To Make A Dirty Shirley Temple
- Add ice to your glass.
- Layer in the cherry vodka, grenadine, and lime juice.
- Top with a splash of lemon lime soda,
- Garnish with cherries and a lime, and enjoy!
As with any cocktail or drink recipe, this Dirty Shirley drink is best enjoyed immediately. You can store a pitcher in the fridge before a party, I don’t recommend storing for long. Although a frozen version may be a delicious variation!
Of course! This Dirty Shirley drink recipe is specifically for one cocktail but you can easily increase the amounts of all the ingredients to make as many as you like! You can even make an entire punch bowl if you’re looking to serve this at a party or large get together.
So fun fact, there is no real difference between cheap and expensive vodka. While this Dirty Shirley Temple recipe calls for flavored vodka, you could absolutely use plain. The brand is entirely up to you. All vodka is distilled the same way and by definition is made to have no distinct taste, smell, or color. So pick whichever type you prefer!
Trish’s Tips and Tricks
- Ginger Ale is a great substitute for the lemon lime soda (Sprite or 7Up).
- If you’d like more of a kick to your Dirty Shirley cocktail, trade out the fresh squeezed lime juice for triple sec.
- While you can stir everything together, the layers of this drink create a gorgeous effect that is stunning when presenting to a party.
- If you can’t find cherry vodka or don’t want the extra cherry flavor, you can substitute plain, whipped, or even vanilla vodka. These flavors are all delicious in this Dirty Shirley cocktail.
Kid Friendly Refreshments
- Strawberry Lemonade
- Homemade Limeade
- Strawberry Italian Soda
- Pineapple Punch
- Watermelon Lemonade
- Cherry Limeade (Sonic Copycat)
More Refreshing Cocktail Recipes
How To Make a Dirty Shirley
- 2 ounces cherry vodka or plain or vanilla vodka
- 1 ounce grenadine syrup
- ½ ounce lime juice freshly squeezed
- 4 ounces lemon-lime soda (Sprite, 7Up) Ginger Ale also works
- maraschino cherries optional
- lime slices optional
- Add ice to a short glass.ice
- Layer in the cherry vodka followed by the grenadine syrup and finally the freshly squeezed lime juice.2 ounces cherry vodka, 1 ounce grenadine syrup, ½ ounce lime juice
- Top with a splash of lemon-lime soda. Add cherries and limes for garnish, serve.4 ounces lemon-lime soda
- Garnish with cherries and a lime, and enjoy!maraschino cherries, lime slices