These soft and chewy Chocolate Peppermint Cookies have the perfect amount of peppermint flavor to make them bright and festive! The perfect addition to your holiday cookie trays!
This weekend has been SO busy! Fortunately, it’s been packed full of FUN things like getting our Christmas tree, going to the movies and watching Frozen and making cookies – of course! The boys were complaining that it had been ever so long since I made cookies – poor things – that I gave in and made them something spectacular!
Chocolate seemed to be the common requirement from the both of them and I wanted to make it a little bit Christmas-y, considering we ARE officially in December – yay! I took my very favorite chocolate cookie recipe and modified it just a bit to make these Soft and Chewy Chocolate Peppermint Cookies.
A requirement for a good chocolate cookie is that it is soft, chewy, and a bit fudgy in the center and this recipe definitely delivers. I love the addition of the peppermint flavor because it really wakens the cookie up and it instantly becomes fresh and cheer-inducing. Kind of like Christmas :)
I used Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips for a subtle peppermint flavor. The addition of peppermint extract in the cookie dough really made it too peppermint-y so I stuck with vanilla. I sprinkled a few more baking chips on the top of the cookies right after removing from the oven. It adds a punch of color and festivity to these delicious cookies!
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 Tbls water
- ½ cup Andes Peppermint Crunch baking chips plus more for sprinkling on top
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream sugars and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg, vanilla and water and beat until well blended.
- Gradually stir in dry ingredients.
- Fold in baking chips.
- Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease.
- Scoop out rounded tablespoons of cookie dough onto prepared cookie sheet. Dough is very thick.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until they are set. Do not over bake.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with additional Andes chips if desired, and let cool on a rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
I honestly cannot get enough peppermint right now which makes me super happy that it’s Christmas time! My sister was telling me yesterday what a short holiday season it is this year because Thanksgiving was so late. We MUST pack in every bit of peppermint goodness we can in the short time we have …at least that’s my plan!
More peppermint fabulousness:
Connect with me!
Linking up at some of these parties.