This Small Batch Cheddar Twists recipe is perfect for making just the right amount for you and your family! Made with ingredients you probably already have on hand, these twists are fun and are so easy to make!
Fall is on it’s way and for those of us in hot Sacramento, it can’t come fast enough. I am already dreaming of 70 degree days and cooler nights where soups and chili are on the menu. As a carb lover, I often find myself making some sort of bread or roll to go with those comfort dishes, but often times, I end up with a LOT leftover. And let’s face it, rolls aren’t always as good the next day.
These twists are a lot of fun to make and are super easy, using ingredients that you probably already have on hand. This recipe yields six twists and they are generously sized. If you need more than six, this recipe can easily be doubled.
And, while I am definitely not a short-order cook, these twists can be finished off in a variety of ways to please anyone in your family. Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, cheddar cheese, and Parmesan cheese are all equally fabulous on these twists.
These twists are a favorite of ours and I think you’re going to love them as much as we do. Packed full of cheesy flavor, the rolls are soft and tender and just perfect for when I’m craving some carbs 🙂
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ cup evaporated milk
- 1½ - 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp sugar
- 2¼ tsp yeast (1 envelope)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tbs water
- sesame seeds, poppy seeds, Parmesan cheese, grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat water and milk to 120° to 130°F.
- Combine 1 cup of flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in mixer.
- Attach dough hook and add water and milk mixture and mix until combined.
- Add enough remaining flour to create a soft, slightly stick dough.
- Stir in cheese.
- Continue kneading with dough hook for another 5 minutes.
- Lightly flour a cutting board.
- Remove dough and let rise, covered, on cutting board for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into six equal pieces and roll into a 14-16 inch rope.
- Fold the rope in half and pinch the ends together.
- Holding both ends, twist the rope two to three times.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet, cover and let rise for another 30 minutes until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly beat egg white and water together.
- Brush egg mixture over top of twists.
- Sprinkle with cheese, poppy seeds, or sesame seeds - optional.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until gold brown.
- Let twists cool on wire rack.
These cheddar twists would be perfect with…
Connect with me!