Perfectly moist and bursting with fresh flavor, this cornbread really is the best Cheesy Mexican Cornbread!
This post brought to you by KRAFT Natural Shredded Cheese and Safeway. All opinions are 100% mine.
We’ve been grilling a lot lately. Like a ton. We just can’t seem to get enough and I have to say, I love the fact that there’s hardly any cleanup ;) Last week I had some chicken that I was planning to barbecue and was trying to think of a nice addition to the meal.
I was considering making my brother’s zucchini casserole but then I remembered that our neighbors had brought us over a bunch of fresh corn from a local grower. Cornbread it is!
There’s nothing like sweet, fresh corn. I love it anyway I can get it during the summer and we are so fortunate to have lots of farms near us that grow the sweetest, juiciest corn ever. One of my favorite ways to enjoy corn in in cornbread.
This particular cornbread recipe is a variation on the cornbread my mother-in-law prepares for most family gatherings. I love the light, tender crunch that the fresh corn adds to the bread and the color and flavors from the pepper and chiles is just fantastic.
I like to saute up the onions, bell pepper, and corn for just a few minutes to really bring out their fresh flavors.
Unlike most cornbreads, this cornbread is incredibly moist and just full of flavor. My favorite part? The cheese. A full two cups of KRAFT Mexican Blend cheese goes into this cornbread making it extra cheesy and delicious. KRAFT Mexican Cheese is a staple in our house and I am just loving the new stand-up pouches that I found at Safeway.
I love the perfectly golden edges – those are the best part. See this piece on the top? That baby is all mine!
- If you like things spicy, swap pepper jack for the Mexican blend and/or jalapenos for the green chiles.
- Eliminate the sauteing and use jarred roasted red bell peppers and green onions instead.
- Corn not in season? Use frozen instead! Just thaw the kernels first.
Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan out of your favorite recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery Shopping List.
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 2 ears fresh corn, corn removed from cobs (approximately 1½ cups corn)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 15 oz can cream-style corn
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chile peppers, drained
- 2 cups KRAFT Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium pan, saute fresh corn, bell pepper and onion in olive oil for 5-7 minutes until tender.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Add in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in cream-style corn, green chiles, Mexican cheese and bell pepper/onion/corn mixture.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture and stir until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into center of the pan comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly before cutting and serving.
More cheesy favorites:
Make sure to check your Safeway Store for the new KRAFT #StandUpCheese and sign up for Safeway Just For You while you’re there!
Connect with me!
Linking up at some of these parties.