Classic Mac ‘N Cheese gets a grown-up twist with this Baked Bacon Macaroni and Cheese! Crunchy bacon and caramelized onions take this comforting food to the next level of awesomeness!
Mac ‘N Cheese. Does a more comforting food exist?? It’s what my kids always ask for when they’ve had a rough day and what my husband and I love to indulge in any day of the week. This Macaroni and Cheese is extra special because I’ve added caramelized onion and bacon to the mix. I love how the bacon adds delicious texture and crunch to this ultra-creamy indulgence. The caramelized onions add incredible depth of flavor and make this classic kid’s dish a little more grown-up :)
I prepared this fabulous meal in my new Pampered Chef Rockcrok™ Dutch Oven and I loved how easy it was to use! Mac ‘N Cheese is definitely one of those recipes that should go from the stovetop to the oven and the Rockcrok™ makes that happen with ease. The glazed ceramic pieces don’t require any pre-soaking or seasoning which is something this busy mom appreciates.
Because this incredible Mac ‘N Cheese is going to make everyone wants seconds, you don’t have to worry about it cooling down. Extra-long heat retention keeps the Mac ‘N Cheese nice and hot until the meal is over – sooo nice! The Rockcrok™ is heat resistant up to 752°F and is freezer and dishwasher-safe. Basically, you can’t ruin this awesome cooking vessel.
The Pampered Chef wants one of you to own your own Rockcrok™ Dutch Oven so you can find out for yourself how awesome it is! The winner will also receive a Bamboo Specialty Cooking Set and the Basic Nylon 4-piece Set in their prize package. Use the Rafflecopter form below to enter and good luck!
- 2 onions, sliced
- 7 Tbls butter, divided
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3¾ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- pinch of cayenne
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked to al dente
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ¼ cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Caramelize onions in 2 tablespoons of butter until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in pan over low heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth.
- Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in milk, mustard, and cayenne.
- Bring mixture to a simmer and continue cooking, stirring often, for additional 5-10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheeses until fully melted.
- Stir in macaroni, onion, and finally stir in the bacon.
- Melt remaining tablespoon of butter in a small dish and stir in bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake uncovered for approximately 20 minutes or until slightly browned and bubbling. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Connect with me!
Linking up at some of these parties.
Disclosure: The Pampered Chef provided me with products as compensation for this post. No monetary compensation was received. All opinions are, as always, 100% my own.