Making perfect bacon is easier than you might think. I used to forgo making bacon because the gigantic mess it made just wasn’t worth the amazing taste. A few years ago I learned about baking bacon and it has changed my life forever.
- Baked bacon does not curl – you get nice straight bacon pieces every time.
- Cooks evenly – no white fatty pieces on one end and burnt bacon on the other.
- No splattering of bacon grease all over the place.
- No need to babysit the bacon. You don’t even have to turn it over!
- Tastes delicious.
What you will need:
- Shallow baking sheet
- Foil (heavy-duty preferable)
- Metal Cooling Rack (optional)
- Non-stick cooking spray (optional)
- Paper towels
2. If using a metal cooling rack, spray the rack with non-stick cooking spray, and place the rack inside the baking sheet.
3. Place the bacon slices in a single layer either directly on the foil or on a rack Make sure not to overlap slices.
4. Turn the oven on and set to 400 degrees. Do not wait for the oven to preheat. Go ahead and place the pan in the oven.
5. Cook the bacon for 12-17 minutes. Cooking time depends on the thickness of your bacon, and how long it takes for you oven to come to temperature. Start checking your bacon around 10 minutes to ensure your bacon doesn’t burn. (Nothing worse than burnt bacon!)
7. When the bacon is golden brown, the bacon is done.
9. Eat and enjoy!
Here are some tips:
- The oven should be cold when you put the bacon in – do not preheat.
- Make sure you are watching the bacon closely during the last few minutes of baking to ensure that the bacon doesn’t burn.
- Remove the bacon from the rack or baking sheet right after removing from oven. The bacon will continue cooking as long as it is left in the pan or bacon fat.
- It is easy to flavor up the bacon. Try black pepper or brown sugar sprinkled on the top before baking – it will give your bacon a whole new flavor.
- Want to freeze your bacon? Under-cook your bacon by a couple of minutes , let it cool and then place it in Ziploc bag. To reheat, pull out a couple of slices and cook in the microwave on medium power for 30 seconds.
Some yummy bacon recipes:
Connect with me!