Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
This easy Strawberry Shortcake recipe is everyone’s favorite summer dessert! Tender, sweet biscuits topped with macerated strawberries and freshly whipped cream make this the best Strawberry Shortcake EVER! Easy to make and perfect for small or large gatherings.
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar optional
- ¾ cup unsalted butter cold, cut into small cubes OR grated
- 1 cup whole milk or buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar or turbinado sugar or sanding sugar
- 2 pounds strawberries picked through, washed, trimmed and hulled
- ¼ to ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream extra cold, can place in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes
- ¼ to ⅓ cup powdered sugar depending on how sweet you want your whipped cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 450°F
Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and cream of tartar (if using) in a large bowl.
Use a pastry cutter to cut really cold butter into flour mixture. Don't go too crazy here - you want to see small, pea-sized pieces of butter throughout the dough.
Stir in the milk (or buttermilk) and mix just until the ingredients are combined. The dough will be sticky but don't keep working it. You should be able to see the butter pieces in the dough.
Turn the dough out onto a generously floured surface. Sprinkle some flour on top of dough so it won't stick to your fingers and pat into a rectangle about one inch thick. Fold in half and then pat out again. Repeat a few more times. If the dough is super sticky just sprinkle on some additional flour. Pat the dough out to ¾ - 1 inch thickness.
Cut with a biscuit cutter or glass or even cut into squares or rectangles if you prefer. I usually end up with about nine.
Place the biscuits on a lightly greased baking sheet or parchment lined baking sheet. Brush top of biscuits with heavy cream and sprinkle sanding sugar or coarse sugar on top.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown on top. Remove and let cool while preparing strawberries and whipped cream.
Place sliced or chopped strawberries in a large bowl. Sprinkle granulated sugar on top and stir gently to combine. You want to coat. the pieces of strawberry.
Let sit for about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring once or twice. You'll know they're ready when the sugar has completely dissolved and there's a nice syrup developing in the bottom of the bowl.
Chill the mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes.
Pour heavy whipping cream into mixing bowl and beat on medium to medium high speed with the whisk attachment until the cream gets bubbly and starts to thicken
Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Continue beating on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, being careful not to over beat.
Use a serrated knife to split the biscuit in two. Place a generous scoop of macerated strawberries directly onto the bottom half, about ¼ cup or so. Top with whipped cream, a few more strawberries and finally the top half of the biscuit.
We like to add another dollop of whipped cream and a few strawberries to the very top of the shortcake. For extra sweetness, spoon the strawberry syrup that is has developed from the macerated strawberries right on top of the strawberry shortcake. Enjoy immediately.
- This is a version of my This easy Strawberry Shortcake recipe is everyone’s favorite summer dessert! Tender, sweet biscuits topped with macerated strawberries and freshly whipped cream make this the best Strawberry Shortcake EVER! Easy to make and perfect for small or large gatherings.biscuit recipe. To simplify the recipe, I have eliminated the egg and reduced the amount of flour to compensate for the reduced moisture. You can use the original biscuit recipe if you prefer.
- Want the tangy taste of buttermilk but don’t have any on hand? Make your own. In a liquid measuring cup, add 2 teaspoons of white vinegar or fresh squeezed lemon juice. Next, add enough cold whole milk to measure 1 cup. Whisk to combine and let sit for 5 minutes before using.
baking sheet | Biscuit cutter | pastry cutter | pastry brush | stand mixer
Calories: 246kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 214mg | Potassium: 257mg | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 405IU | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 1.7mg