Homemade BBQ Sauce
This easy homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe is tantalizingly tangy with delicious hints of both smokey and sweet flavors. It’s wonderful on chicken, beef, and pork and also delicious as a dip, a marinade, or a unique seasoning for veggies. It’s the perfect addition to all your go-to summer staples!
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons molasses optional
- ¼ cup brown sugar up to 1/3 cup for a sweeter BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke optional
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste optional, for a thicker, stronger tomato flavor bbq sauce
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, honey, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, garlic and onion powder, ground pepper, and salt. Whisk until combined.
Simmer barbecue sauce, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened to your liking. Cook it for a bit longer if you prefer a thicker sauce. Test for seasoning keeping in mind that flavors will deepen as the sauce has a chance to cool.
Store barbecue sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
Calories: 37kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 187mg | Potassium: 138mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 230IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg