The Best Turkey Gravy Recipe
Silky smooth and perfectly rich, this really is the BEST Turkey Gravy recipe around!
Servings: 16 servings
- 1/4 cup fat skimmed from drippings
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups drippings
- 1 tbsp butter or heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
Transfer the fat to a large saucepan over medium heat. Let the fat melt and then sprinkle on the flour. Using a wooden spoon, stir continuously until the fat and flour have formed a homogeneous mixture. Continue stirring until the flour browns slightly, this takes 4-5 minutes.
If your drippings have cooled down, heat them up in the microwave for thirty seconds or more until they are nice and hot. (If you have less drippings than the recipe calls for, supplement with turkey broth or chicken broth.)
Whisk in the hot drippings slowly into the roux. Keep whisking until the liquids are fully incorporated.
Bring the gravy to a simmer and continue simmering until it reaches your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper and for the final step...stir in one tablespoon of butter or heavy cream.
- Too thick - add broth.
- Too thin - mix 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 tablespoon of flour and whisk in.
- Lumps - use your strainer.
- Fat from drippings can be supplemented with butter if you need more.
- Drippings can be supplemented with turkey or chicken broth if you need more.
- Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
Calories: 174kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 28mg | Vitamin A: 20IU | Iron: 0.1mg