Summer will soon be coming to an end and we all know what that means…time for school! Here is a list that you can use to help make that end of summer and beginning of school time a little easier for everyone.
- Talk about school starting as a positive event – not a negative.
- Have your child help pick out their own school supplies (backpacks, lunch box, pens, pencils, etc.)
- Visit or revisit the school grounds so that your child feels comfortable in their school environment.
- Start tailoring your schedule now so that it matches your school schedule. Earlier bed times and earlier rise times.
- Engage your child in discussion about the upcoming school year – what are they looking forward to, what are they scared of?
- Make sure your child knows emergency contact information. This will help your child and you both feel more secure.
- Take advantage of any back to school open houses, tours, or parent-teacher meetings that the school offers.
- Familiarize yourself and your child with their teacher’s name, school room location, school office, and locker location.
- Discuss your child’s school schedule. When do they start, when is lunch, when does school get out?
- If your child takes the bus, visit the bus stop and make sure your child knows what time the bus picks up.
- If you have any specific concerns regarding your child, contact the appropriate party and make your concerns known. This could be the teacher, school nurse, school counselor, etc.
- Start building up their confidence by revisiting topics that they were learning last year.
- Encourage your child to work hard this school year by setting up a study schedule and quiet area for them to work in.
- Label your child’s belongings. Many kids will have the same backpacks, lunch boxes, etc. Print your child’s name, use stickers, or even use a luggage tag to help them identify their stuff.
- Have your child’s backpack and lunch prepared the night before to help the first day of school go as smoothly as possible. Enclose a special note with their lunch so they know you are thinking of them.
- Make sure you enjoy these last days of summer!!!
My little sweetie is starting kindergarten this year so stay tuned for a special post on Preparing for Kindergarten.