This wonderfully easy Instant Pot Chicken Breast is so juicy and flavorful and comes complete with a savory gravy for a delicious, comforting meal any night of the week! Serve with your favorite sides for a meal your family won’t forget!
Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
There is nothing better than a hot, flavorful, easy dinner and the Instant Pot is one of my very favorite tools for getting all of that – quickly! This delicious recipe for Instant Pot Chicken and Gravy is made with chicken breasts, a handful of seasonings and some pantry staples. It’s quick to make and just bursting with flavor. It’s comfort food that you’ll want to make time and time again.
This instant pot chicken breast recipe is a real crowd pleaser and appeals to kids and adults alike. The creamy gravy is perfect for serving along some mashed potatoes. Add in your favorite veggies and you’re set! A delicious, easy meal the whole family will love!
The gravy is totally optional! The Instant Pot Chicken is amazing on it’s own, we just think the opportunity to make up a quick and easy gravy to serve with the chicken is one that shouldn’t be missed.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Instant Pot = Magic Pot. There’s a few steps in this recipe but the instant pot takes of it all! Sautéing the chicken, cooking the chicken until it’s so incredibly tender, and then making the gravy. One pot does it all!
- Versatility. This Instant Pot Chicken is amazing on it’s own – super flavorful and seasoned just right, this chicken is perfect with just a salad on the side. It’s also great in this Chicken Salad! The gravy is completely optional but it’s easy to make and so good!
- Easy Ingredients. I love that this recipe calls for ingredients I always have on hand: chicken breasts, seasonings and chicken broth or stock. It’s one of those instant pot chicken recipes that you’ll find yourself making a couple times a month.
You’ll be amazed at the flavor in this easy recipe! Made with simple ingredients, this Instant Pot Chicken Breast and Gravy is a homey, comforting dish the whole family will love.. As always, you can find the full printable recipe with complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- chicken breasts – you’ll need about 3 to 4 medium breasts for this recipe. Chicken tenders are also a great option or even chicken thighs.
- extra virgin olive oil – The chicken is going to be sauteed in the olive oil for a couple minutes to give it extra flavor. It also helps the spices to stick to the chicken.
- spices and herbs – A handful of spices make for a really flavorful seasoning blend for this instant pot chicken breast recipe. You’ll need dried parsley, paprika or smoked paprika, onion powder, salt, pepper, mustard powder and garlic powder.
- chicken broth or stock – I opt for the low sodium chicken broth so I can control the salt level in this recipe.
For the Gravy (Optional)
- cornstarch – Mixed with water to create a slurry, this will thicken the gravy.
- bouillon cube or better than chicken bouillon base – This is totally optional but will add a lot of flavor to the gravy.
- butter – Again, optional, but adds a nice buttery richness to the gravy.
- heavy cream – I like to add this for a bit of creaminess in the gravy. It’s optional but one of my favorite ways to finish off any gravy recipe.
How To Make Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot
- Prepare seasoning mix. Combine spices and dried herbs in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Saute chicken breasts. Drizzle oil on the chicken breasts and sprinkle with the seasoning mixture. Rub it on both sides of the breasts. Turn on the Instant Pot to the sauté function and add oil. Cook the breasts, 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until browned. Turn off the instant pot.
- Pressure cook chicken. Add chicken stock and dried parsley to the pot. Pressure cook on high for 8 minutes. Let pressure naturally release for 5 minutes before manually releasing any remaining pressure. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Make gravy (optional). Turn the instant pot to the saute setting. Whisk together water and cornstarch and add to the pot, whisking to combine. Add chicken bouillon or better than bouillon base if using now. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the gravy thickens to your liking. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in butter and heavy cream if using (makes the gravy richer).
- Serve and enjoy. Slice chicken breasts and serve gravy over chicken breasts. Serve with a side of mashed potatoes and some veggies for a complete meal.
Refrigerator: Store any leftover chicken and gravy in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freezer: You can also freeze any leftovers for up to 3 months! Let cool and then transfer to a freezer safe, airtight container. Let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating. To reheat, pop it in the microwave or on the stovetop over low heat and heat until warmed through.
Trish’s Tips and Tricks
- Customize this recipe by trying new seasonings and spices. It’s a great way to take this simple recipe and enjoy it many different ways.
- Try using the trivet that came with your instant pot and place the chicken on it after sauteeing instead of place right in the pot.
- The gravy is an optional component to this recipe. If you aren’t planning on making the gravy, feel free to reduce the amount of chicken broth (or stock) by about half a cup.
- Test for seasoning before serving! Sometimes the gravy will need a little more salt or pepper.
- We like to serve this easy instant pot chicken breast recipe with mashed potatoes, pea salad and dinner rolls.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! This recipe can be made with chicken tender or even chicken thighs. The cook time might need to be adjusted.
This recipe is super versatile in that you can use any blend of seasonings you like. If you have a favorite store bought blend, this is a great recipe to use it on!
There are some limitations to this recipe in terms of doubling due to the constraints given by the size of the instant pot. You could potentially double the recipe but you will need to saute the chicken in batches. The chicken broth will not need to be doubled, although it should be increased by about 50% so you will have enough gravy.
Yes, you sure can! You will have to skip the searing part of the recipe and will need to add about 5 minutes to the pressure cooking time.
Instant Pot Recipes
We really enjoy our Instant Pot and are constantly amazed at its capabilities. This Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is a family favorite and perfect for cooler weather. Instant Pot Pulled Pork is requested now for every game day and this Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is great for a quick and easy weeknight dinner!
More Chicken Recipes To Try
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Breast and Gravy
Instant Pot Chicken Breast and Gravy
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 3 to 4 medium breasts)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley divided
- ½ teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or stock
For the gravy:
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 tablespoon better than chicken bouillon base optional
- 2 tablespoons butter optional
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream optional
- Combine one teaspoon dried parsley, paprika, onion powder, salt, pepper, mustard powder and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Drizzle one tablespoon of oil on the chicken breasts and sprinkle with the seasoning mixture. Rub it on both sides of the breasts.
- Turn on the Instant Pot to the sauté function and add one tablespoon of oil. Add the breasts and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until browned. Turn off the instant pot.
- Add chicken stock and remaining teaspoon of dried parsley to the pot and give it a quick stir.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and lock it into place. Seal the valve and pressure cook on high for 8 minutes. Let pressure naturally release for 5 minutes before switching the valve to the “venting” position and manually releasing any remaining pressure. Unlock and remove the lid.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Turn the instant pot to the saute setting. Whisk together water and cornstarch and add to the pot, whisking to combine. Add chicken bouillon or better than bouillon base if using now. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the gravy thickens to your liking. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in butter and heavy cream if using.
- Slice chicken breasts and serve gravy over chicken breasts.