Truly the BEST Coconut Cream Pie EVER! This is my Dad’s favorite pie and it is truly amazing! Made with coconut milk for extra creamy, coconut flavor! Best part? The custard. And I totally made it in the microwave.
Coconut Cream Pie
My Dad is a bit predictable therefore I can tell you almost exactly what he wants for his birthday menu each year.
He frequently chooses my Nana’s To-Die-For Carrot Cake or her German Chocolate Cake (a recipe I keep meaning to share but the cake always gets eaten too quickly…). His other favorite is Coconut Cream Pie. On the rare occasion we go out to eat for his birthday, he likes to go to Marie Callender’s.
And it’s for one simple reason. Their pie. He has about a half-dozen favorites but his number one, go-to pie is their Coconut Cream Pie.
What To Serve With Coconut Cream Pie
My sister has made it for him in the past but this year it’s all me. His birthday is tomorrow and the menu has been set.
- BBQ Beef Ribs with my mom’s killer bbq sauce
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Mojito Fruit Salad
- Dad’s Green Jell-O Salad
- Coconut Cream Pie
I have to say, I’m excited because his is just what I’m bringing and I know my sister is always good some additional treats.
I was feeling a bit lazy so I made the custard filling in the microwave. And for those of you that just freaked out a little, trust me, it’s totally okay. In fact, it’s amazing. Quick, easy and absolutely my preferred method.
What’s In Coconut Cream Pie
- coconut milk
- half and half
- corn starch
- coconut extract or vanilla extract
- pie crust
- heavy whipping cream
- powdered sugar
The coconut cream filling is the best part of the coconut cream pie because I don’t skimp on ingredients. I used coconut milk – not lite! – and half and half for an ultra-creamy and rich filling. The coconut extract takes the filling over the top but if you don’t have any or can’t find it, vanilla extract also works beautifully.
In addition, I pulled out all the stops and made a fresh whipped cream topping but if you’re feeling exhausted from microwaving the custard filling, Cool Whip is an easy alternative.
Finally, to finish the coconut cream pie recipe off, I top it with lightly toasted coconut giving the pie a lovely, delicate look.
I am so excited to be bringing this pie up to my Dad’s this weekend and I know he is going to LOVE it! I’m betting you are going to love it too! This easy coconut cream pie is so fabulous – definitely a recipe you need to try!
More Favorite Coconut Desserts
- Coconut Butterscotch Chocolate Chip Gooey Bars
- Raspberry Coconut Magic Bars
- Cherry Coconut Magic Bars
- Strawberry Coconut Smoothie
- Coconut Cream Pie Cookie Cups
How To Make Coconut Cream Pie
Dad’s Coconut Cream Pie
- 13.5 oz coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk beaten
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut divided
- 1 tsp coconut extract or vanilla extract
- 1 deep dish pie shell baked and cooled (I used Pillsbury)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla or coconut extract
- Combine coconut milk, half and half, eggs, sugar, corn starch and salt in a large, microwave safe bowl. (I use my large Pyrex measuring cup.) Stir.
- Microwave on high for one minute, stir. Repeat until a thick custard has developed. 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups coconut and coconut extract.
- Pour coconut custard into cooled pie shell.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread coconut on baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Keep continuous watch on the coconut - it burns easily.
- Whip heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add in sugar and extract and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream on top of coconut custard and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Keep refrigerated.
Originally published March 14, 2014.
For all pie recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.
Have a great day!